Endodontic Therapy (Root Canal Treatment)
Root canal therapy is necessary when a cavity that has been left untreated becomes larger. Once the cavity reaches the pulp of the tooth, an infection forms at the base of the root canal, causing an abscess. This abscess is generally painful and will need to be removed.
The doctors at Advanced Dentistry Center know that serious tooth decay can often lead to a root canal. A root canal may be needed if the decay has reached the tooth’s nerve. Essentially, root canal therapy involves cleaning out a tooth’s infected root, then filling and sealing the canal.
Process of Root Canal Therapy:
- An opening is made through the crown of the tooth into the middle of the crown, called a pulp chamber.
- The pulp is removed, and the canals of the root of the tooth are cleaned, enlarged and shaped.
- The infected area is medicated.
- The root canals are filled.
- The crown opening is filled with a filling material and prepared for a crown.[Link to Post and Crown]
If you are experiencing severe tooth pain, you may need a root canal. The only sure way to know is to call our office at (248) 594-9592 and setup an appointment with one of our experienced doctors.